1.22.2009

Self reflection is hard.

The New York Times did a profile of Jon Favreau, President Obama's head speechwriter, this week. (Side note: How awesome is it to say "President Obama"?! Still gives me chills.) Basically, he's 26 and, for my money, has one of the best jobs EVER. Oh, and he's HOT. And single. But I digress...

Not to bore you with the details, but the whole reason I chose my major (public relations) in college was because when I asked my mom, "What's PR?" she answered, "You know, they write speeches for people. Like politicians and stuff." I've, of course, since learned that PR is a lot more than that, but looking back, the goal when I started my PR degree was to eventually start working for a senator or governor or something, writing speeches, interfacing with the media, etc. In the end, I took a different path. But politics was always something I wanted to get back to.

There's nothing like reading about someone who's your age and way more successful than you that makes you really think, "What am I doing with my life?" Favreau was working on John Kerry's campaign when he was 23. Twenty-three!!! When I was 23, I think I spent most of my time nursing hangovers and eating top ramen.

Anyway, reading the article made me think of my long-term goals and what I need to do to acheive them. The only thing is, I know it won't be easy. And, quite frankly, I've become quite accustomed to easy lately. Either way, it's given me a lot to think about.

2 comments:

Tanya said...

um...yum. You should totally marry him!

Katie said...

I always dreamed that I'd get married to a man who I'm just using as a stepping block to achieve the career of my dreams!

Kidding... :)