11.19.2007

Aaaaand we're walking

Before I get too far into this, I have to say that I'm aware that November (especially this cold, damp Seattle November) isn't the best time to walk, and even I will opt for my warm car instead of a dripping umbrella any day. But, as a city chick, I greatly appreciate when most things I need are within walking distance of my apartment. In fact, this has been the number one requirement when choosing my last two rentals.

That said, I was excited to stumble upon WalkScore.com, a site that rates the walkability of any neighborhood. All you have to do is put in your address, and WalkScore will not only rank your 'hood's walkability, it will also provide yellow page listings (combined with Yelp reviews, in some cases) for walkable businesses and services in several different categories.

According to WalkScore, my address scores an 85 out of 100 for walkability. And I'm pretty sure I've taken full advantage of that...walking down to the corner deli when I forgot to buy milk at the grocery store, running around the corner for some takeout when I just don't feel like cooking (which, let's be honest, is most of the time), etc.

And did I mention the ability to stumble home from the bars in lieu of hailing a cab? That's worth an 85 out of 100 right there...

2 comments:

Zandria said...

I've never heard of that website! It seems pretty interesting. Not only that, but it seems like a good way of finding local things you might not have heard of before. :)

Zandria said...

You inspired me to write a post of my own!

http://www.zandria.us/archives/main/2007/11/24/whats-your-walk-score/