10.11.2007

"Through a friend"

These days, I'm pretty sure the only place to meet a sane, decent man is "through a friend."

"Oh, so you're dating someone new? Where'd you meet him?"
"Through a friend."
"That's great!"

"You met a really great guy this weekend? Where?"
"Through a friend."
"No kidding..."

"That sounds like a really great date. By the way, where did you meet this one?"
"Through a friend."
"Figures."

Don't get me wrong, I'm very much in support of friends playing matchmaker for other friends (who better to set you up than someone who really knows you?), but I'm beginning to think my friends don't share the same philosophy. Here's how a conversation between me one of my best friends went the other day (You should probably know that this particular friend is a man...we'll call him Bud.):

Me: "It seems like the only place to meet people these days is through friends."
Bud: "Agreed. We're getting too old for the bar scene."
Me: "Glad to hear we're on the same page. So..."
Bud: "..."
Me: "SO..."
Bud: "What?"
Me: "Why don't you ever hook me up with your single friends?"
Bud: "I've tried to hook you up before!"
Me: "Uh, no you haven't. When?"
Bud: "Ummm...Sophomore year of college! Yeah, that's right."
Me: "Who?!? You're delusional."
Bud: "That one guy...I don't remember his name."
Me: "Gee. Thanks, Bud."
Bud: "Anytime."

As the ONLY single girl in my group of friends (which, I should point out, includes an equal amount of men and women), you'd think I'd have the whole set-up thing locked down. Not so. And it's not for lack of effort on my part. I ask. I drop hints. And nothing. They talk the talk, but they never follow through. I mean, c'mon people! Throw me a bone here! (NO pun intended. I swear.)

So here's my question: Where can you meet a sane, decent man if you're A) too old for the bar scene, and B) surrounded by people who are oblivious to the concept of matchmaking?

Say church and I'll scream.

1 comment:

Jack said...

Let me know when you find out the answer! I'm surrounded by a) couples that do not know how to match make and b) single friends that are stuck in similar ruts.